Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My methodology

I know there's a lot of people who follow this case closely and are trying to figure out exactly what is going on here so let me explain a little about my methods when it comes to investigating unsolved crimes.

1. I will not rely on secondary sources.
This case has been written about many times. There have been several television programs that featured the case as well. Many times, when reporters put a book together (or a blog, article, etc.) they merely quote from articles that came out before, falling back on someone else's reporting. I won't do that. For a couple reasons. It's lazy, for one. But also, some of what has been reported was reported incorrectly. Some things presented as fact are not factual. I want to come at this as a fresh pair of eyes. And so I will be conducting my own research and interviews as if nothing has been written about Maura before. That's not to take away from some of the quality journalism I noticed in the article from the Express and other sources. But I'd like to start on a clean slate.

2. I will name suspects.
As in the Amy Mihaljevic case, I intend to eventually talk about suspects, potential suspects, and persons of interest. I will name them if they are either deceased or have a criminal record of violence against women. That's my litmus test. If they are neither dead nor a creep, I will use a fake name (and if I do so, I will let the reader know it is a moniker).

3. I will moderate comments.
Experience has taught me that sometimes people troll these blogs and leave threatening messages for either me or my subjects. So unfortunately, I can't have an open forum here. But I will post comments that are critical of my ideas and writings. I just can't have threats or libelous statements on here.

4. I will respect your privacy.
If you have a tip you'd like to send to me, let me know if you'd like me to publish your name or if I need to keep you as an anonymous source. Any significant leads will be passed on to the police, but I will omit your name if you want.

That's about it. I don't know how quickly I'll update but I have a stack of interviews here to publish bit by bit. So check back.

1 comment:

  1. I know I'm way behind on reading what you've learned about the case but I think this is a fantastic post - definitely makes me want to read THIS blog about the case rather than dig through google hits and read articles that are regurgitated and repetitive.

    ReplyDelete