1. Where is Maura?
2. Why did she drive into New Hampshire to begin with?
To be clear, I am not suggesting Fred knows the answer to question #1.
But I do believe he has a good idea about the answer to question #2.
Solve #2 and you get closer to figuring out #1.
I've worked on a couple political campaigns in the past. One of my mentors ran his own "crisis management" firm. I know a little bit about public perception. Enough to know that it's turned on Fred and his family. And I think that's distracting from the ultimate goal: to find Maura.
If I was consulting with the Murrays, I would strongly suggest that now is the time to get out in front of this story. Some lies were made to police and media in the beginning. Some odd things happened the weekend before Maura disappeared. Come clean and move on.
What would work best is a video interview with Fred where he responds to some of these tough questions. Let's hear it in his words. Put it up on YouTube.
- What was the purpose of his visit to Amherst the weekend before Maura disappeared?
- What was the purpose of the $4,000 he withdrew from the bank? What happened to the money?
- Who was at the bar before the party?
- What is known about the party Maura attended that night?
- Why did Maura return to his hotel after the party?
- What happened at the hotel? What was said? What occurred?
- What hours did he work at the hospital the following day?
- What did Maura intend to do about the credit card fraud charges and her nursing career?
Honest answers to these questions would put an end to many of these silly conspiracy theories that muddy the waters. And, frankly, after such blatant lies, some kind of explanation is owed to the tax payers who funded the search for Maura in 2004.