Remember the Saco thing? The report my PI kicked up on Maura showed that someone used her name or social security number in Saco, Maine a couple months after she went missing. Well, the address was listed under the name Richard Graves. I was going to look into it when I got back home. But then I ran into Tim Carpenter, who mentioned that I should talk to the guy who helped Fred search for Maura every weekend for a year. The guy's name? Rick Graves from Saco, Maine.
I just spoke to Rick.
An amateur sleuth who moonlights at Home Depot, Rick was "hip to hip" with Fred every weekend for a year, walking through the woods, looking for Maura. Got to know Fred and the family really well. There will be more about Rick in the book. Suffice to say he's a nice man who wanted to help. Here's some highlights from out interview:
- He stayed at the Wells River Motel, next to Fred's room on the weekends. Every morning, Fred would have to go running first, shower, then they would set out for the search.
- Also present for these searches was Tim and Kathleen, a "dowser" named Dave, and Fred's cousins Sookie and Pattie.
- He thinks Fred is a good guy. Conservative. But nice. And he paid for everything.
- During his first search, Rick found an empty vodka bottle on Lime Kiln Road, which he thought might be connected. He told Tim and Kathleen about it but doesn't know what happened after that.
- Kathleen found a pair of thong panties in a driveway which he believes may have been Maura's. The cops tested it and said it wasn't related.
- He found strange skid marks on Rt. 18 in Franconia.
- He personally went through Maura's stuff when it was stored in Tim's basement. He found some notes in her pockets. One of them was about Billy cheating on her.
- It appeared she was looking for jobs at brew pubs in Mass.
And here's the big stuff.
Rick says the story Fred told him about the night Maura left the party and ended up at the hotel was different from the statement he gave police. Fred told him that Maura had gone to the hotel lobby after the tow truck dropped her off and passed out in a chair. The hotel clerk called his room, woke him up and he went and brought her back to the room.
The reason Maura's name is associated with Rick's address is because Fred gave him permission that year to put a trace on her social security and credit card numbers. If she ever used them, he'd get a notice.
There was a rumor that Maura was raped at the dorm party but they've never been able to get the full story from Kate Markopolous or Sara Alfieri.
Take this next statement with a grain of salt.
Rick visited a medium and before he said why he was there, the woman told him, "Kate knows everything."