Friday, July 26, 2013

So... The Stop & Shop Loyalty Card Found in Maura's Car? Yeah, She Stole That, Too.


You know, the more I look into this case the more unbelievable it becomes. I went into it, like many of you, with this image in mind of Maura as the All-American Girl. Then we learn of her credit card fraud. Her cheating. Her petty theft at West Point. Not that I think she was given much of a chance. Her mother outed her bulimia in front of family members, some of whom had serious problems with drugs and issues of their own. And Fred... Jesus. Where do you start? What a mess.

And yet she's still missing. The case needs closure.

Anyway, last night I learned the Stop & Shop loyalty card found in her Saturn after the crash had been stolen (I believe it was, based on the following story, anyway, but you tell me if you can come up with a better explanation). A reader of the blog ran the card number through Stop & Shop's system and found that the card was associated with the address 22 Walker St. Weymouth (which was where Fred was living). And an email that linked back to a man in Cleveland named Richard Thousand.

Here's what Thousand had to say:

Very Interesting! I did attended a meeting at U Mass shortly after graduating from Nursing School in 2003. I was there for approximately a week and signed for a card at the Stop and Shop close to where I was staying because they had some money off on gas. Of course, while there I talked to several nurses attending the University and I do remember talking quite some time with a girl who fits Maura's profile from your website. We were both runners and I grew up in Upstate New York and camped and hiked many of the same areas that she had in New Hampshire. I remember her mentioning a boyfriend in Oklahoma because I had told her I had moved to Ohio from Kansas and she said she was planning on getting a job there. She asked me about the kind of area it was. I also had been in the Air Force and she mentioned some military training, but I don't remember her mentioning West Point Academy- but that was a while ago. As for the card, I don't think she would have stolen it from me since I keep a very keen eye on my wallet and only carry the bare minimum. I am notorious about dumping these cards anywhere because they aren't credit cards and we don't have these stores in Ohio so I could have left it anywhere on campus. I still do this since I travel a lot but I guess I will be more careful in the future. I was rather shocked by what I read about her disappearance but I had a co worker in Kansas disappear and there were a lot of strange theories but they eventually found out that BTK was her neighbor and actually abducted her from her home and killed her.

17 comments:

  1. Hmmm. What motive would she have for stealing it? The discount cards are free. I suppose maybe she took it to see if there were gas points on it. Honestly, I didn't think Stop and Shop started the gas points program until a much later date, like just a few years ago -- but I could be totally wrong on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. He "knows" two people who disappeared? Not that it means anything, just really rare. I don't even know anyone that knows someone who disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The studious and serious Renner who rarely says anything more than minimally necessary, at times enigmatically, all of a sudden gets FUNNY FUNNY on Friday with humorous pic and headline! GOOD SHOW James, that made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact she had this card in her car, confirms what we already know. She used credit card information from receipts other people threw away. This looks like a similar thing. I can imagine she found the card, picked it up and kept it, because it might be worth something. She even registered it to 22 Walker St. Maybe this tells us the cc fraud was not an isolated thing she did once and would never do again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon: I think addiction perpetuates its own motives. Compulsions are addictions in the sense that they like externally stimulating drugs release the brain chemical that makes you high neepinepheron (spelled wrong), in massive doses. This leads to imbalances, urges, as the brain receptors become starved for a normal amount of chemical but the brain's supply is exhausted. This leads to an obsessive focus on the stimulant, be it behavioral or chemical, and letting the underlying issues you are avoiding fester and get worse. Tolerances develop and it takes more and more and more of the stimulant just to feel normal. Your body, brain, mind and spirit eventually become exhausted. You get more and more destructive. The issues to avoid with highs mount in your life.

    Recovering addicts have a story about a frog being asked by a scorpion for a piggy back ride across a river. The frog says, "how do I know you wont sting me in the middle of the river, killing me." THe scorpion says, "because I then I would drown." So the frog takes him. Then the scorpion stings him. As the frog is dying he says "why did you sting me, you have killed yourself too?" The scorpion replies, "because I am a scorpion. That's what I do."

    The idea is that addicts and alcoholics are scorpions. Their rationale does not make sense from the wider view of the world around them. They do what they do: the drink, snort, steal, have sex, eat, throw up, codependently obsess about someone else, etc. Because they need to. Their cycle is feeling okay because of those things and then having urges for more, while the reality they cant deal with gets worse and worse and worse. Laurie died of liver cancer right ... that could mean she drank herself to death. Look at the cycle of abuse in Kathleen's life.

    The experts say addiction is a family disease. You see it in the Murrays. It is so sad. Especially because the trouble in such families can roll down hill in terms of age and the youngest often have the shame of the entire family on their shoulders, trying to be the glowing all american savior while themselves dying and dying inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I meant to add Sharon, that people addicted to thieving thieve.

      There are a lot more addictions about then people realize, at least when you evaluate it in terms of the cycles of brain chemistry involved.

      Delete
    2. First of all, I've been around recovering addicts for 15 years and I've never heard that story. Addicts are not scorpions.

      Second, being that I have a degree in addiction counseling, I'll tell you this-compulsive theft and abusing alcohol are two very different issues. People who are addicted to substances do have a chemical response when they use. The effects of that are not the reason they keep using exactly. Crack addicts suffer this as well as some heroin addicts. But those are totally different as well. Either way, that's not the point. The euphoria is a plus but its not the drive. So do some more research on that.

      Kleptomaniacs may experience a rush or some pleasure while the theft is in progress. But kleptomaniacs have a very unique drive for what they do. Google it. I don't feel like explaining it to you, John.

      And God forbid you ever meet an addict, I'd advise you up keep that frog story to yourself.

      Delete
    3. The scorpion is the addiction, dear...

      Delete
    4. Really, dear? I think you missed the point entirely.

      Delete
  6. John is exactly right. People steal useless things or things they can get for free all the time. For a lot of them it is all about the rush they get while in the process of stealing the object. John and James the more I see things posted like this the more I am wondering if Maura was a kleptomaniac.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thousand knows TWO people who disappeared (as an earlier poster mentioned), and one was killed by the BTK? His entire account is an odd mix of facile, hinky and "look at me" dramatic. Look into this weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been using the CVS card of a girl who rode in my car on spring break in 2002 pretty much since I sold the car and found the card while cleaning it out. I thought it was mine until the coupons started printing names and I had to figure out who the heck it was. I doubt she stole it from this guy. His story seems a little dubious though. I would bet he either knew her a little better than he claims, or he actually just dropped the card somewhere and is trying to explain how she got it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was it a regular sized card or the keychain one? If it was they keychaon one and he just kept it in his pocket and it could have fallen out while he was retrieving something else. Or it could mean she had access to his keys or his wallet at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a current college student, I know of several acquaintances who have done similar things. My ex-boyfriend's best friend kept and often used a store reward's card he found in the parking lot, simply because it was convenient to him. He wasn't a bad person, he was simply too lazy to get his own/return the card to the store. I believe this is the more likely scenario with Maura; she may have simply found it and decided to keep it, not realizing that she was stealing as she did so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I originally sent you the R. Thousand info. I think you should at least add an *UPDATE* on this entry clarifying that Maura didn't steal it and that details are on a newer post. She doesn't deserve that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete