Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Sightings Keep Coming

Here's another decent sighting (in my opinion) from a reader:

I live in ChestertownMD.  It’s a very small, rural community. on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.  I grew up in a big city so  life in Chestertown is very different for me.  Although my practical sense is telling me the following was “just one of those things”….I was in the local grocery store approximately 8 or 9 weeks ago.  An elderly woman in the check out lane next to mine addressed someone behind me.  I heard her greet this person and ask, “How’s your little girl doing?  She’s 4 right?”  I honestly was bored waiting in line and instinctively turned around as the woman behind me smiled and said, “Yes.  Good.”  I met her gaze and my instant thought was “I am looking at Maura Murray.”   I don’t go looking for missing peoples’ faces in the crowds, mind you.  I am 36 and this woman appeared not much younger than me.  She had very light brown hair and her face appeared to have the same facial structures/smile.  This woman was easily 150-160 lbs.  She wore jeans and a gray zip up hoodie sweatshirt.  The reaction of her eyes made me freeze.  I’m sure everyone one in the world has stared at someone in a grocery store line, etc.  I can only say her eyes looked at me, I don’t even know how to describe it…but, it wasn’t a look of “Ok, weirdo, quit looking at me.”  She nodded a few times to the elderly woman, but did not speak again while I was in earshot, anyway. I stayed partially turned around gazing at items on the end caps while intermittently gazing back at her again.  She only spoke those two words to the elderly woman.  It was too quick for me to detect a heavy Boston accent.  My Dad grew up in CranstonRI and we have family in MA…I’m familiar with that region’s accents.  I had to force myself to turn back around.  I came home and told my husband about it and brushed it off as “just one of those things.”  I have often thought about it since then and wished I would’ve taken a phone pic, with discretion of course, or engaged this woman in conversation.  The reason I chose to tell you of this incident is because I read your latest post about the possibility of Maura having been in Virginia.  Chestertown is a small, private town.  Tons of farmland and generally large property acreage, putting neighbors pretty far apart.  I am a RN x almost 14 years, spending the last 12 years in the E.D.  I simply have this acquired ability to recognize faces even with some physical changes.  Unfortunately, drug users are frequent flyers and will try almost anything to alter their appearance to score narcotic medication.  The point of this being…. I didn’t have to think about it, when I turned around, I thought I was staring at Maura Murray.  I have not seen this woman since.  This most likely is just a clever coincidence, but I haven’t seemed to shake the mental image.

23 comments:

  1. Jimmy, another brilliant piece of flash fiction! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Why don't you just stop reading this blog if you are so unhappy with what JR posts? It's a free world, and you can start your own blog, and say whatever the hell you want. You and a few others are just tiresome.

      Delete
  2. Sounds worth checking out. If the older woman knew her she must be local to that area/town. If the town is truly very small a detective could probably figure out who this woman is pretty easily from the description, location, and daughter's age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. John, if you have a problem with Mr. Renner why not stop visiting his site? He has done more than any of us in regards to solving this case and we have no way of knowing what kind of information he has that has not been made "public" to is. If you think you can do a better job that he is doing then start your own blog. Also, if you would follow this case closely there are MANY other blogs that have sightings listed not just Mr. Renner. Also, he calls his credible tips into LE and they investigate so apparently he's not as crazy at you seem to think he is'!

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. If people have such a problem with what James posts on his own blog why do they keep reading it?dont like it don't read it! That will save u moaning about any post James makes!
    Keep up the great work James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IF THESE WERE YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS HE WAS CHASING AND CALLING AND HOUNDING AND DEGRADING AND DEFAMING.....ETC.

      I would bet You would not be praising Him as much as You are now.

      His tactics are sleazy to say the least.

      John

      Delete
    2. My point is if you don't like what's written on this blog then why continue reading it?
      If it were my family I would cooperate with anyone trying to find my loved one.if the murray family want to put their side across why not be open & honest.james puts info on here that he receives believable or not for us to discuss.....not to attack his character!

      Delete
  4. Here we go again You loser. These are posts which should be left up for people to see. The true james renner.......LOSER

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do we know that Maura speaks with an accent? Fred doesn't. I am from the Boston suburbs too and most of the people I know from home don't have Boston accents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred does have a pretty strong accent but I agree it's just as likely Maura wouldn't. Julie speaks in the Chronicle documentary- would be pretty fair guess that however she speaks (don't recall off the top of my head) Maura speaks similarly.

      Delete
    2. Buuuut, it's not that hard to change your accent. I grew up in the south and I trained myself to not sound like an idiot so now I don't have a southern accent. People are always shocked when I tell them I'm from the south.

      Delete
    3. Vicki Cupper, on another post you got upset about someone making a statement about Atheists being rude, you said it was uncalled for. Yet here you are saying people in the south sound like idiots.

      Delete
    4. Hey, hey. Watch it. Alabamian here. :)

      Delete
    5. My father held two masters and a PhD from the University of North Carolina. Born and raised in Charleston. We could use a lot more idiots like him. He kept his Charleston drawl all of his life.

      Delete
  6. I thought I would add one observation here. Charlestown, MD is less than 15 miles from a place where Julie Murray lived up until a year or two ago.

    On the other hand, this tip, to my ears, intuitively does not sound very reliable.

    Moreover, for all the time you have put into drumming your theory that Maura is alive, James, you have yet to produce anything that so indicates and you have produced more than a few things that suggest otherwise, in my opinion, such as the outcome of the search and poster campaign in Quebec, which you implied strongly was based on specific knowledge you had of Maura's whereabouts.

    Like I have said before, until you answer for some of the now seemingly ridiculous things you have left dangling - implying a lack of respect for people who have supported you and tried to help you - I think your credibility will continue to suffer. Also, as I have said, I am starting to have doubts about your motivations and have toyed with the idea of not even reading the book.

    I hope you will take some of this to heart, from someone who once avidly supported you, donated time to helping you, defended you and viewed you as a friend after we met. I'm not so sure the trolls are getting louder James, but your supporters are getting quieter. I am someone who wants to support you and be interested in your work, but I am having trouble reconciling that desire with some of the things you have said and done.

    One other note; a suggestion. I think moderating all comments, and effectively banning obnoxious posters by banning obnoxious content, makes sense. It tends to lead to a more fruitful discussion, generating more meaningful information and leads. Given the environment that people like some of the obvious cranks create here, however, there are probably a lot of people who simply wont post, which diminishes the level of meaningful information to you. I think you should simply moderate comments or ask someone to do it for you, according to a well laid out set of rules, focusing on not allowing personal attacks (as opposed to constructive criticism of content) against other posters. You will still see everything that comes through, so no loss of information, but with a more legitimate atmosphere around here, in time, more people who are watching but afraid to post, will participate.

    ~ John Green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does the moderating mean I can't call JG out on the uber wordiness of his posts? Sorry JG but tbh I drift off by the third sentence of your posts.
      I hope you will take this to the heart, because every now and then you do succinctly make astute observations, frequently lost in babble.

      Delete
    2. Then don't read them. That short enough for you to comprehend? They are intended for people with attention spans.

      ~ John Green

      Delete
    3. Do you ever, ever just shut up? Go somewhere else, start your own blog, (oh wait, that didn't work out for you so well), just shut up. That's all, just SHUT UP!

      Delete
  7. I agree with some others who have already posted. This lead seems questionable. Certainly possible but a stretch with such little info. It would be a lot better if she had gotten a photograph.

    -chris

    ReplyDelete